Rigging & Rescue
This unique course, taking place at the spectacular Royal Gorge Bridge & Park in Canon City, Colorado, will focus on the challenges of planning and executing rigging and rescue concerns.
Join us for this three-day, hands-on course that will be sure to challenge all attendees while they enjoy the rugged beauty of the Rocky Mountains under the watchful eyes of the Elevated Safety and RGB&P staff.
We will cover high angle rescue rigging theory and best practices, the use of Artificial High Directionals (Tri pods, Mono pods, Bi pods and Vectors), highlines (English and Norwegian reeves), winches versus mechanical advantage hauling, load sharing anchors options and litter packaging/movement. We will then bring it all together for epic mock rescue scenarios.
- Use of Artificial High Directionals (Tri pods, Mono pods, Bi pods and Vectors)
- Highlines (English and Norwegian reeves)
- Winches versus mechanical advantage hauling
- Load sharing anchors options and litter packaging/movement
Along with the ability to climb and carry out vertical rescues at around 6000 feet of elevation, students will also need to be able to handle exposure (some of the routes at RGB&P are VERY exposed at about 1,000 feet above the Arkansas River).
What To Bring
- Appropriate clothing
- Class III full body harness or UIAA seat harness
- Appropriate footwear (e.g. approach shoes) for accessing and climbing the Via Ferrata
- Face covering
- Rope gloves
- Small backpack
- Eye protection
- Personal descender
- 6 locking carabiners
- Rope ascending system (optional)
- Rope grab (mechanical or prussic).
Weather: Average temps range from low 30s to low 60s, typically dry, expect gusty conditions in the canyon.
We will provide a RGB&P pass each day, rope and rigging gear.
Paid and non-paid professional rope rescuers, mountain rescuers, search and rescue personnel, Via Ferrata guides or anyone who might respond for the rescue of a stranded/injured rock climber. Anyone who might respond for the rescue of a stranded/injured climber or worker.